There are a number of different floor systems on the market, some better than others. We have found over the years that the soundproofing systems below meet the criteria for superior sound reduction, on budget, with quick install and little or no mess. We also have other floor soundproofing systems that we can deploy depending on the situation.
Click here to view a case study.
OVERLAY FLOOR SYSTEM (For All Floor Coverings)
This soundproofing floor is top of its class for reduction in impact and airborne sounds. The soundproofing overlay floor system is a premium composite board made with felt, cement, polymeric core and a water resistant board to the face which allows the boards to be used in kitchens and bathrooms. When fitted, this system can be treated as a normal subfloor and will accept a variety of floor coverings.
This is our go-to floor for solving a variety of noise problems including bass music, musical instruments, alarm clocks, snoring, barking doors, children running about, and so on. This system will reduce it all!
• The floor is checked for integrity – if necessary, the existing floor is then fixed and filled.
• Skirting is removed and any gaps at the joint floor and wall are sealed with acoustic sealant.
• An expanding perimeter strip is attached to the wall.
• The acoustic boards are fitted as a floating floor and glued and screwed together.
• Doors will be cut to suit the new floor height.
• Threshold upstand fitted at junction with any existing floor to suit your final floor covering.
• New isolated skirting fitted.
• This floor system has a thickness of 28mm.
• Costs from £175 +VAT per square metre.
IMPACT FLOOR SYSTEM (For Carpets)
This floor system works well for stopping impact noise travelling downwards. It also offers a small decrease in airborne sound. It is used by many house builders that have failed a sound test and need to pass to get completion certificates for the build. Home owners use it to stop impact noise going through to their neighbours.
• The floor is checked for integrity – if necessary, the floor is then fixed and filled.
• Existing skirting is left in position.
• A perimeter strip is fitted round the room to allow carpet gripper to be installed later
• Impact mats are then loose laid in break bond fashion. These have a thickness of 15mm and carpets can be fitted directly over the top.
• Impact mats can also be bonded with plywood to allow vinyl to be laid on top.
• Costs from £95 +VAT per square metre.
UNDERLAY FLOOR SYSTEM (For Wood and Laminate)
This floor system works well for stopping impact noise travelling and creates a dust free sub base which also levels out any minor discrepancies on the floor. It can also have a vapour barrier built in which allows it to be used on concrete or timber floors, and prevents stress on the joints of engineered wood and laminate floors. This is a great option to take the edge off the impact sound from a laminate or hardwood floor.
• It can decrease in room noise by up to 30%.
• It has a thickness of 3.60mm.
• Costs from £20 +VAT per square metre.
Having experienced noisy neighbours first hand, I know what it’s like to suffer noise abuse. Let me help you achieve peace and quiet in your own home - get in touch today.